Tuesday, December 18, 2012

a short note on inspiration


Every time I finish one post, it seems impossible that I will ever write another. But inevitably I watch a movie or a documentary or I come across a significant paragraph in a novel or, in this case, read Zadie Smith’s article in the December 17th issue of The New Yorker called “Some Notes on Attunement.” First, I am plastered to the couch, overwhelmed that something so true, so personally applicable, exists in my hands. Then comes the jealousy which goes something like, God, I wish I was cool enough to write something so authentic and smart. And finally, I remember that this is what inspiration feels like. That this is why I am a voracious reader, constantly searching for affirmation, comfort, truth, the thing that makes me say yes, makes me rush to my computer or my cello, to try and make sense of it.

First of all, read Smith’s piece. Its layers astound. But the main thing I want to address is not how to write a nice essay based on the brilliance of Zadie Smith (I would pale miserably in comparison), but rather, how to find inspiration in this life.  All the great artists and writers say that you cannot wait for it to strike. You must sit your butt in your chair every day at the same time and write down all your bad ideas. I hate this.  In all honesty, I am not usually inspired. And it is so easy to blame its shortfall, to say Bummer, Inspiration did not visit me today, I’ll just have to read The New Yorker instead.

In which case, one of two things usually happens:

1) Right after Talk of the Town, you peel yourself off the couch, remembering the awful truth about your butt in a chair, and you trudge to your desk or piano and play the first chord that comes through your fingers.

OR

2) BAM! you open the New Yorker and there is a brilliant piece by Zadie Smith that then inspires you to write a blog post.

It is both these options that keep us creating.  In light of last Friday’s tragedy in Newtown, it has become even clearer to me that art is what we turn to again and again to make sense of life. There is comfort in words, art and music, comfort that can only be found there.  And this is why we must discipline ourselves every day, forgive ourselves if we forget to and, as e.e. cummings says, open the eyes of our eyes. 

1 comment:

  1. nice post ari! i haven't read the zadie smith article but i will now!

    ReplyDelete